View Single Post
Old March 17, 2009, 10:10 AM   #20
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

Ammunition containers are usually called 'magazines', not 'clips'. Clips are something else: they are designed to hold a group of cartridges together, to load 'en bloc' INTO a gun's magazine, and then be discarded before shooting. (There are a couple of exceptions to this rule, notably the M1 rifle, where the 'clip' is part of the 'magazine'; and the Roth/Steyr and Bergman pistols, and a couple of Lower Slobovian army rifles, which are now as extinct as the dodo.) Talking about 'clips' when you mean 'magazines', marks you as a beginner in most shooting circles.
Your photograph shows clearly that your rifle is a '152k' model, which came with a bead front sight and open rear sight on the barrel (and a seven-round 'magazine'.) The 152 model (no 'k') has a POST front sight with 'ears' on either side, and a peep/receiver sight on the rear of the action. The 'k' model is just as good a shooter, and will respond to the addition of a light telescope sight very well. The peep sight is a scarce collector's item, and your gun would need to be drilled and tapped to fit it, whereas a 'scope will slide on to the receiver grooves with no problem. 'Scope strongly recommended. Your pals at the range can recommend an inexpensive .22 'scope model that would be suitable.
Havlin's magazines are pretty good. I have a couple and mine work fine. If they feed erratically, it will probably be because the L-shaped piece in the stock that holds the magazine has been bent or is loose. An easy fix. There's hardly anything else that can go wrong with this little carbine, which is why I like it so.
The k model originally sold for a couple of dollars less than the 152, and now sells for 'considerably' less. It's nice that your rifle has the original sling, which adds to its market value.

Page generated in 0.03064 seconds with 8 queries