View Single Post
Old April 10, 2005, 07:15 AM   #74
Dogjaw

With all due respect, here's my "anectdotal observations" Long Path. Corn mold from improper moisture content, i.e. greater than 15.5% will lead to mold when stored as shelled corn in a grain bin or piled where air can not reach it . Short term storage in cold weather can be had at 18% moisture. Stored corn as with hay can be checked with a thermometer in interior of the pile. A rise in temperature means too much moisture and too little air movement, and cool dry air is forced through the grain to remove moisture. Corn strewn out will not mold in this way. If it did, all corn would normally mold in the field. An extremely wet warm fall can cause mold in corn on the stalk. The last time that happened in Southern Michigan and Northern Indiana (which means a much larger sector of the Midwest) was in 1971. How do I know? I spent the fall of 71 till the fall of 72 grinding alfalfa into corn from 1971, and mixing it with what good corn was left from 1970 to feed the dairy cattle. I spent that same time pumping semi milk solids from 55 gal barrels and grinding into hog feed for extra nutrition.
If you look at some small farms, you will still see corn cribs. High moisture content (anywhere from 16 - 30% depending on variety and conditions) corn is picked and stored on the ear in a wood building with slats, or a round bin made of heavy gauge mesh wire. This corn is exposed to the elements for up to a year and more. The gaps in the ears makes for natural air circulation that keeps moisture from collecting, and heating up the corn, thus preventing mold, or spontaneous combustion. This basic method of storage has been practiced for thousands of years, and we're all still here. I doubt someone throwing a bucket of corn on the ground and letting it sit a week or 2 is doing anything more than turning the ground yellow. If it was dangerous, why would farmers use it themselves? Why isn't this a warning in any DNR publication? 47 years on a farm enough research for you?
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........

Page generated in 0.03469 seconds with 8 queries