View Single Post
Old March 30, 2013, 11:05 AM   #88
F. Guffey

FrankenMauser

I do not know.

I do not know how a reloader could let themselves get into a situation where is is necessary to purchase new brass at the beginning of a crises, be prepared, I am exempt from the Politically Correctness of terms, I could be called a hoarder, I could be a sweat equity oriented shopper, I could be ‘just lucky’ lucky by the friends I have cultivated, occasionally I get a phone call, starts something like: I have a friend that has a friend that knows someone that etc., etc.. SO? I get involved, my first commitment, I make sure the person selling understands what it could cost to replace the components with new components etc.. Then they make me an offer, normally I inform them it is not enough, more times than not it comes down to making one offer for all of it with no intentions/interest in peddling the good stuff and giving the rest away.

Then there is that part where they are going to throw in the extras, at a gunshow in Mesquite, TX. I purchases 40 lbs.. of ‘what looked to be junk’ to others was a bargin in the form of ‘DATUMS’ to me, $20.00. I paid for the purchase and started removing all the Lee dies with good intentions of giving them back, the dealer claimed, in a good gesture, he threw in the Lee dies for free, meaning I was not charged for the lee Dies and I could not give them back. Up front, I explained to him I had no interest in carrying the extra weight to the parking lot. One RCB bullet puller with a .30 cal collet made the deal worth the effort.

I know, a good case could be made for my dislike of lee dies, that is not true, it is about Lee die owners, I find it impossible to find a pile of Lee dies that are complete, always as in always and every time I find a Lee die with the ‘O’ ring it has been rendered scrap because of bad habits, the former owner used a chemical that was not compatible with the ‘O’ ring, sound familiar? “I use brake degreaser to clean my dies etc., etc..” I use a towel on a dowel, in the same box were dies form Hollywood Gun Shop, Pacific, RCBS (the old RCBS and Wilson case trimmers and case holders and gages.

Back to forming dies, I have purchased new/never fired cases most described as 30/06 with out the intension of ever firing one in a 30/06 chamber, purchasing 30/06 cases in volume with forming dies meant It was not necessary to purchase in small lots, 243 Winchester, 7mm08, 308 W, 7mm57, 8mm57, 257 Roberts, 8mm06, 338/06, 35 Whelen, 25/06 etc..

Then when I have a problem, I first notify the person I am dealing with, they need to know, twice in my short life I went to see them, both times there was no mistake about what transpired, it had nothing to do with what I thought they said, it had nothing to do with what they thought they said, it was about ‘What they should not have said”.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02171 seconds with 8 queries