View Single Post
Old January 21, 2014, 02:33 PM   #13
Erno86

You might have to go back to a 22 rifle, so you can work out that flinch.
A cushioned cheek pad helps...that you can buy from Brownells. Pull the rifle into your shoulder pocket firmly with your support hand, and your trigger hand with a slight rearward pull.

Walmart sells 3 different sized slip-on rubber recoil pads. I buy a Bag of Rags at an auto parts store, and stuff some rags under my shirt on my shoulder pocket. You might not have the rifle close enough to your shoulder pocket. If you place the stock to far out on the shoulder...it will kick your butt.

The 150 grainer's definitely have a milder kick. You can also buy reduced recoil loads for the 30-06.

If the gun does not return to the aimpoint after recoil...you might be holding the rifle wrong. Use a natural point of aim by aiming the rifle --- close your eyes/then open them --- if the sights are not on the aimpoint, readjust your body till it does; and repeat the process. I would suggest buying a 12 pound pedestal rest with rear bags; such as a Hart or a Sinclair.

Instead of crossing the shooting hand thumb across the stock...have your thumb pointed forward inline with the stock --- which can reduce the chance of a flinch --- though it is not a compatible technique with the rearward bolt handle location of the Mark 3 Lee Enfield rifle.

Breathe and relax your shoulders. If your trigger finger starts to quiver just as you start to press --- stop --- do the breathing process over and try again; but do not hyperventilate or you might pass out. If you feel dizzy...breathe in a paper bag.

If you're not using a rest --- accept the rifle's wobble --- do not try to snatch the shot when the sight's cross the target. In due time, the wobble radius will get smaller. Proceed with the natural order of things and press the trigger.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; January 21, 2014 at 03:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.03379 seconds with 8 queries