Thread: fact or myth?
View Single Post
Old January 11, 2019, 11:27 AM   #31
FrankenMauser

Quote:
If you have ammunition that is setting back enough from a single chambering to be dangerous, then you need to contact the manufacturer and get your money back rather than adopting non-standard loading practices to try to compensate for the extreme lack of quality in the ammunition.
I don't use cheap ammo. I am not compensating for anything, unless you include statistical probability.

All brands and quality levels of ammunition can suffer bullet setback. Whether due to the manufacturer's loading practices, a quality failure, or negligent repeated chambering by the end-user, they can all suffer setback.

The most recent examples that I've setback with were Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr FTX .380 Auto, Speer 124 gr Gold Dot LE 9mm, and Barnes 115 gr TAC-XPD.
It happens with rifle ammo, too - and setback doesn't even have to happen inside a firearm. About two months ago, I dropped a factory Remington .300 Blk 220 gr OTFB subsonic load on a concrete floor. It landed base-first. When I picked it up, the cartridge overall length was more than 0.150" shorter.

I don't think anyone would classify any of the above as "low quality." Yet, they all suffered from bullet setback with minimal or single chamberings (or one drop).

Some people snap-over. Some people don't.

Some people wipe front-to-back. Some people wipe back-to-front.
Some people do both.

It's a personal choice.
(Just don't wipe side-to-side. That's not good for anyone.)

Page generated in 0.03327 seconds with 8 queries