View Single Post
Old June 18, 2019, 07:38 PM   #56
straightshooterjake

I know a defensive pistol instructor who includes some 100 yard shooting in all of his classes with advanced students. They shoot at a good sized steel plate, I think it is 18" wide and 24" high, so it is comparable to a hit somewhere on the upper body.

Most people are very intimidated to shoot a pistol from 100 yards for the first time, and they don't expect to hit anything. But actually everybody hits the plate within their first magazine, and this is the point of the drill. Once they know it is hittable, they do even better their second time up.

Usually revolvers also hit the plate within the first six shots, and even 5 shot snub revolvers often hit it, though that is not guaranteed.

As a person who has done lots of target shooting at 50 yards, and some at 100 yards, I could say lots more about this subject. One thing I will mention is that a .22 target pistol is a very viable tool at 100 yards. Many .22 pistols are extremely accurate, and have either excellent sights or an optic. It is not too difficult for an experienced shooter to hit a paper plate at 100 yards with a good .22. And while a .22 may not have much stopping power, a few of them to the center of mass will still ruin anyone's day.

Page generated in 0.02709 seconds with 8 queries