Thread: Between the two
View Single Post
Old August 30, 2021, 03:25 AM   #13
riverratt

Update for inquiring minds. I settled on a load of 44gr of H4350 under the 162gr sst seated 30 thou off the lands. My test in wet pack showed significant penetration of about 20" with an impressive wound channel, about the size of my fist, that lasted about 14" before tapering down and streamlining at about the 16-17" mark. There were fairly consistent results at 30 and 100 yards. The recovered bullet from the 30 yard shot weighed 93gr but shed most of it's expansion and measured .47 at its widest and .38 at its narrowest points. The 100 yard recovered bullet weighed 103gr, its widest expanded point was .52 and .48 at its narrowest.

The 140gr Barnes bullet was only tested at 100 yards and it did as Barnes bullets do complete passthrough of my 24ish inches of wet pack. The wound channel showed slight quicker expansion with a longer, less impressive damage path of about 2", maybe 3" for a short duration. It didn't loose any petals so I'd suspect 100% weight retention. Measurable wound cavity extended to about 20" before streamlining so I don't think there was much energy left but I didn't recover the bullet.

Thanks to all who replied as I took everyone's opinion into consideration when making my decision and I feel much more confident with this load going into the woods this November.

Page generated in 0.02774 seconds with 8 queries