View Single Post
Old December 12, 2016, 06:54 PM   #11
Clem Paradise

Thank you for all of the replies and the useful information. I got wrapped up in work and traveling and have not pulled this gun out in a while.
In answer to a question that was posted, the problem is that when the magazine tube is rotated and then slid forward until the metal tab hits the barrel band, the magazine tube has not moved far enough forward to clear the face of the receiver extension, so the barrel cannot be rotated and removed. The magazine tube needs to move forward another 3/16" to clear the face of the receiver extension. I do not see how the gun could be assembled and result in this problem unless, perhaps, the barrel is not original to this shotgun and it has the tab located slightly differently. Are Model 12 barrels interchangeable with Model 87's? Are they different in this way? The manufacture date of the shotgun is 1917 and the last patent date on the barrel is 1910.
The question is a rhetorical one at this time since the receiver extension is frozen to the receiver. With the barrel band and magazine tube removed I cannot get any hint of rotation with just my hands and I've been unwilling to try a padded vice and monkey wrench. My wife's grandfather bought this shotgun new in 1917, the year it was made, and her father does not remember them ever removing the barrel. Over the past 99 years those two parts have gotten very comfortable the way they are.

Page generated in 0.03902 seconds with 8 queries