Thread: physical injury
View Single Post
Old September 22, 2012, 07:54 AM   #12
Hal

Quote:
isn't this the sign you shouldn't call someone an idiot for using 44 special in a 40 ounce 44 mag?
All depends on what they have to stop or drop w/that .44....

Quote:
I first experimented with heavy .44 Special loads around 1953 or 1954, and have shot a full range of hard kicking stuff up to the .45-70. This amounts to some quarter million rounds fired over nearly sixty years. Maybe its the way I shoot or my grip, but never felt any damage except to my hand when using rubber or ill-fitting grips.
<snip>
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a macho man by any means, but I believe those who have problems have it because of diet, life style, or some cause from natural aging.
You have me by 2 decades there...
I got into the heavy hitting .44mag loads in the 1970's.
I never went above the .44mag - but - a 24 gr load of Hercules 2400 under a 240 grain slug - is a stout load (I was going to say in anyone's book - but - that load is well above "book").

Anyhow - I noticed the comment about rubber grips. Does that mean you don't use them?
I find that curious.
If that's the case, then you and I are in a definite minority there.
I detest rubber grips. Not only are they too "grabby", I never felt any supposed cushioning effect using them.

Also Re: "Life style"...
Wouldn't an "addiction" to "big boomers" be part of "life style"?
I know in my own case, early on (as witnessed by the above over book load), I was all about getting the biggest boom I could possibly get.
As accurate shot placement became my primary goal, my "lust for power" diminished.
My "life style" shifted in that regard.
Instead of seeking to make a lot of noise - and miss a lot - I began to take more note of the actual purpose and function each part of the ballistic puzzle plays.
Now, my "life style" is a lot more sedate & it's reflected in my belief that a 240 grain swaged lead hollow point semi wad cutter loaded to just shy of sonic (1100 fps) will do everything needed done out to 25 yards.

Page generated in 0.02914 seconds with 8 queries