Thread: I got one!
View Single Post
Old October 18, 2018, 11:44 PM   #25
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinaz
I gotta say when I saw you were elk hunting, I started anticipating this post and looking forward to it more than I have in awhile. Good job man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damnold4this
Congrats on a great job.
I won't quote everybody, but I really appreciate all the posts. It means a lot to me to have you folks genuinely interested.

Little update, after thorough cleaning and removal of the white skin and what-not we were left with 163lbs at the processor, plus the weight of the head. I also carried a front shoulder out intact. So, in all, I carried roughly 225lb out in those 4 trips. I discovered quickly that a more thorough understanding of my backpacks proper usage would have been valuable. Also discovered that leaving the pack at the truck to start and going back for it if you shoot something, while seemingly easier, suddenly becomes not at all easier if you actually do need it.

Each round trip took almost exactly an hour... 45 minutes loaded and 15 back. There were times I was going up the hill and stopping to rest every 4 or 5 steps. I pulled the trigger at 4:30 almost exactly and we drove away around 9:15.

I took a couple of quick measurements on the antlers. They're just about 36" wide at the top Y. The brow tines are 7.5 and 8.5" long.

Page generated in 0.03598 seconds with 8 queries