View Single Post
Old June 26, 2019, 09:40 AM   #19
jar

Missing in so much of most tactics discussion is the appraisal of what we should plan for.

I'm over three quarters of a century old.

None of my pieces parts are what they usta was.

If I ever use a gun in self defense it will almost certainly be relatively up close and personal.

I will not be serving warrants, making traffic stops or arresting felons.

It's highly unlikely I would be making any shots over about 30-50 feet and even shots at 50 feet would be highly unlikely and so not the initial plan.

In my case the plan is if possible to keep an assailant or threat out of grappling distance and if not possible then how best to shoot when really close.

A secondary but essential planning consideration is the physical makeup of my most likely handgun. Since I most often either pocket carry or use a small OWB open carry holster with either a "pocket pistol" or snub nose revolver there are already several less than optimal factors.

Pocket pistols are generally smoothed and rounded so sights are minimal.

Shorter barrels mean a shorter sight radius.

The gun I most likely will have will be a smaller caliber that will be less effective as distances increase.

I am still using the Mark1 eyes with only minor external enhancements.

While I am aware of "worst case scenarios" they are not the focus of my planning, rather I plan for the most likely scenario with a small percentage of practice time devoted to other considerations.

Just as shooting without using the sights is a primary focus, weak hand single handed presentation and shooting is a primary focus tactic.

In an emergency it's very likely that my strong hand and strong side will be busy warding, directing, misdirecting or moving stuff so it is my weak hand that I expect to be essential.

So "Yes Virginia", I do plan on shooting without using sights.

Page generated in 0.02590 seconds with 8 queries