View Single Post
Old February 18, 2001, 11:30 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

According to an LEO shooting buddy, most police-related shootings are at around that magic 7 yard mark and more. Most civilian shootings are at less than 2 yards. Look at it this way, when the goblin comes to rob you, is that goblin standing across the street and yelling at you, "Give me your wallet!" or is standing within arm's reach of you at the ATM? Rapes, beatings, and knifings don't occur at long distance either and so those people who choose to defend themselves with a firearm are really dealing with very close quarters combat. Bar shootings, say over a pool game wager, often take place across a pool table.

As far as hit percentages, most police agencies are doing good if 25% of their shots actually his the suspect. LA boasts proudly of 28%. I have heard no data for civilian hit percentages. Just as a fun example, you all may remember the SWAT/Tactical team doing the raid in California on some drug guy. This was on John Bennell's crime show. The guy tries to get away in his black suburban and runs a gauntlet of SWAT members. This incident got some board time here because officers on opposite sides of the street were shooting at the vehicle passing between them and the commentator mentioned that it is really hard for bullets to pass through vehicles. Most TFLers thought the comment stupid and that a friendly fire incident could have easily occurred. I believe someone counted and came of with something like 40+ shots on the vehicle were fired by the officers. The suspect was hit once in the arm (as I recall). That makes for about a 2.5% hit rate by highly trained officers at ranges varying between 3-4 yards and 10 yards (or so it looked on TV).

Page generated in 0.02199 seconds with 8 queries