View Single Post
Old January 22, 2021, 11:11 PM   #30
rc

22 adaptors/conversion kits

I know this has drifted off the original topic so I'll chime in about 22 adaptors and training for a stress situation. While not all 22 adaptors keep the weight and balance of the centerfire handgun due to the use of aluminum for the slide, the grip and trigger pull are identical and develop muscle memory for loading and shooting as invaluable practice. Those that talk down about 22 conversion kits due to a lack of recoil are not considering that repetition is the key to training. We know that under stress your skill set will drop to the lowest level of training. Dry firing is not really all that great because it lacks a lot of fundamental feedback that comes from firing a 22 or pellet gun. Dry firing isn't going to tell you if your wrist drops every time you pull the trigger nor is it representative of how you use a gun normally.

I know a guy who confronted criminals late one night who had repeatedly been robbed. He failed to practice regularly with his primary self defense gun, a pump shotgun. Under stress he forgot how to release the shotgun slide and could not load a round in the chamber. The criminals he confronted refused to get down on the ground and in his frustration he closed the distance and resorted to using the shotgun he had as a club striking one across the face and knocking him down. The criminals both ended up running off and getting away to a waiting vehicle with another gang member. He was lucky they didn't pull out a gun and shoot him but he found a box cutter on his property the next day. There is a reason police train with simunitions. There is no substitute for realistic training. Dry firing is not realistic training for real world self defense.

Page generated in 0.02547 seconds with 8 queries