View Single Post
Old March 2, 1999, 01:59 AM   #13
Jeff Thomas

Had to bring you all up to date on 'the rest of the story'.

Decided to get the All-Weather 10/22's for my boys - synthetic stock and stainless barrel, etc.

Took forever to get this done at Wal-Mart. Partly their fault, partly not. Clerk was on the phone so long for the 'instant' check (at least 20 to 25 minutes) that I told him I'd come back the next day to pick up the rifle. Turns out that clerk's shift ended, and his replacement that evening finally finished the paperwork! Came back the next day to pay and pick up the gun. That took another 15 to 20 minutes. Then the clerk said 'we have to get a manager to walk you to the front of the store'! Huh? I asked him if he couldn't just walk me to the front. No go.

Manager finally shows up. I'm on the phone with my wife and I explain I'm waiting to get walked to the front of the store. She asks me if I'm kidding, and I said no. Manager overhears the conversation, and clearly takes offense at our levity. Manager says something about me being 'in a hurry'. I point out that if being 'in a hurry' covers coming back over two days and spending more than an hour to buy a .22 rifle, then I guess I'm in a hurry.

He says 'You know, we're on an Indian reservation here!' Told him I'd only lived here about 30 years, so I knew that, but so what? He couldn't seem to go anywhere with that response, so he then related that at some Wal-Mart, somewhere, and at sometime, some BG bought a gun, loaded it before he got to the front of the store, and proceeded to shoot customers. I was tempted to ask what had become of the 'Indian Reservation' argument, but gave up.

I can buy his last argument simply as a sad commentary on our existing tort / judicial system. Otherwise, it is another case of not needing '100% solutions for 1% problems'.

Thanks again for your ideas and comments. I hope my boys like the rifles.

Page generated in 0.02205 seconds with 8 queries