View Single Post
Old October 30, 2009, 04:50 PM   #13
kenjs1

Hard to answer. You never said what are you hunting and at what distances. Judging by caliber choice I assume larger than deer and\or fairly long ranges a possibility??? Keep in mind magnums will typically have longer barrels than standard calibers. Going lightweight in a fairly stout kicker means recoil. There are not many bad choices nowadays as far as the rifle itself. Across the board the triggers are light years better than offerings only a few years ago. The Marlin bolts are the best buy and least expensive (not always the same thing). Less money usually means lower stock quality. While these are fully bedded they're likely not the most comfy to shoot. The X-bolt is light but likely has the best recoil absorption. I love the Browning short bolt throws and they balance great for me. The new Featherweights deserve a serious look. Very nice looking rifles and reports on these new ones are really favorable. Was never interested in a Winny before but am now. A touch more weight but not a bad thing in a 30 caliber magnum. Don't overlook a Savage - the model 14 (or 114) American in particular - is actually a very good looking rifle- yeah a good looking Savage- go figure. In synthetic they have a new "accustock" I would recommend. Savage synthetic stocks traditionally have not been great but this one is certainly one of the best in a factory offering. Remington sells more guns so you will hear more negative feedback about them. You already have one and sounds like you are looking for something else. Most Vanguard owners are loyal and very happy with their rifles. On caliber choices I think a 270 is really hard to beat for deer\hog and a possible elk or black bear. I am on the short side am beginning to prefer short actions and 22" barrels. I have and love a 260 but the more common 7mm-08 would fill almost anyones needs nicely in a tidy sized package with very modest recoil.

Page generated in 0.03183 seconds with 8 queries