View Single Post
Old January 16, 2020, 11:56 AM   #1
5whiskey

Uugggghhhhhh Stupid Federal Laws and Why We Don’t Need Any More

Just a rant, that is all. I understand the desire to try and thwart straw purchases. I really do. But the absolutist principle and letter of the law at times prevents peaceful citizens from doing something they should be able to do by any rights.

Case in point. I’m currently an activated reservist and deployed. Occasionally I peruse armslist in my home area just to see what’s out there. Well, I happen to have found a couple of No 4 Enfields local to my home at a really good price. The problem is buying a firearm without being there is... well... not possible. I could get my son to pick it up for me, but very technically he would not be the actual person for which the gun is meant for. Nor would it be a bona fide gift if I gave him the money for it (which I would). The only unquestionably legal way I see to handle it would be to have him buy it and do the transfer through an ffl. Then transfer it to me through an ffl when I get back. That’s a lot of hassle, and on top of it I would want to ask the seller questions and get more pictures as my son isn’t into collecting and doesn’t know all of hat I’m looking for. As soon as I start emailing but my son shows up, to ffl or otherwise, that’ll probably shut that down.

It’s one more reason why we don’t need any more laws on the books. There shouldn’t be a thing in the world wrong with me sending my son to buy a rifle for me and hold it until I get home. But it’s against the letter of the law. Laws are often made without common sense provisions to prevent such impediments. And they often have no appreciable affect on the very behaviors they are intended to prevent. Just a rant, and another argument against UBCs. I get it UBCs aren’t affecting my personal situation, but how many unintended consequences will they have?

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946

Page generated in 0.02398 seconds with 8 queries