View Single Post
Old December 31, 2013, 10:02 PM   #82
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
Even if he is able to line up shots at that range, it is impractical or irresponsible for the reasons I pointed out.
Let's look at exactly what he's said in the original post.

Quote:
This rifle will most likely become my go to firearm and primary weapon for a variety of uses. Primary use will be for home defense, range practice, plinking on friends farms, but I do want to use it for hunting on occasion, which will involve 500+ yard shots.
Home defense? No. Way to much power for close defense, and as you've pointed out - long range shots at unknown strangers are not defensible for a number of reasons.

Range practice - sure why not. I have no idea the distance he's going to shoot. Do you?

Plinking on a friend's farm - sure why not. Again - have no idea of the distances.

Hunting on occasion - sure, as long as you treat the rifle like any other .308 and keep it within the required power factor at the range the game is being hunted.

Prairie dogs at 500-800 yards? Sure - I'd try that one. Elk at 500 yards ....no, wouldn't feel confident with a one shot kill on an animal that size.

Quote:
And from a SHTF scenario as well.
I didn't see that in the OP's original post so I think you're reading that one into his post. For zombies, I think the best defense is to put a ring of treadmills around your house...

Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt that he's not going to be incredibly stupid with the rifle - can't see a problem with owning a precision AR10.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; December 31, 2013 at 10:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.03847 seconds with 8 queries