View Single Post
Old November 12, 2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeedWacker
I have a prospective buyer for a firearm. I live in Washington and he lives 3 miles east in Idaho. I understand the ATF requires a transfer via FFL over state lines, but could I walk over to a FFL on the other side of the river and do the transfer there instead of running through two FFLs and paying two fees?...
Yes, if the transfer FFL is agreeable. It would be legal to do it as you've described, but some FFLs have more restrictive business policies about how they want to receive guns for transfer. So work out the details with the FFL and buyer ahead of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeedWacker
...have a financial interest in the local indoor range and I lent a revolver to them as a rental firearm until they got a replacement in the same caliber. Now that the replacement is in and I am looking at getting my firearm back, do we need to perform a transfer across state lines?...
Yes, you will need to have the handgun sent to a Washington State FFL to transfer it to you. The interstate transfer laws are very broad and include any transfer of possession (with some narrow exceptions like bequests under a will).

See --
  1. 18 USC 922(a)(3), which provides in pertinent part (emphasis added) as follows:
    Quote:
    (a) It shall be unlawful—

(3) for any person, ... to transport into or receive in the State where he resides ...any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State,...
  2. And 18 USC 922(a)(5), which provides in pertinent part (emphasis added) as follows:
    Quote:
    (a) It shall be unlawful—

(5) for any person ... to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person ...who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in ... the State in which the transferor resides..;
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.02470 seconds with 8 queries