View Single Post
Old November 30, 2011, 09:17 PM   #23
Ruark

I think practicing point shooting is EXTREMELY important. Several years ago I read where an FBI firearms instructor said that if you go into a face-to-face gunfight, (1) you won't use the sights, and (2) you'll fire one handed. Probably true, when you sit down and think about it.

Most concealed carriers would probably do well to burn up some ammo point-shooting. What I do (we live on a farm) is tape a sheet of typing paper to a big tree trunk for a target, then back off 5-7 yards and point-shoot at it 3 rounds at a time, firing quickly. Shoulder level, straight arm, stiff elbow, eyes focused on the target, tight grip on the gun. Try it; it can be a real wake-up call.

One of the most difficult things to do under enormous stress is focus visually on a small point, so this is something to practice. Do NOT focus on the person: focus on a button on his shirt, or the tip of his nose, or whatever. This is a critically important habit to form. You can simulate this by using a black marker to make a 1/2" dot on the paper or target.

Just some notes.

Page generated in 0.02746 seconds with 8 queries