View Single Post
Old May 9, 2010, 03:11 PM   #9
Nite Ryder

Help on Cowboy pistols

I started shooting Cowboy Action Shooting in 2006 and I've seen a few new shooters buy guns and then after they got into the game more, switched guns and calibers. Most people end up using 38 special revolvers because the recoil is lighter and therefor can shoot faster than 45's and 44's, 32's are also faster..For rifles, the best for the money is the Marlin 1894 in 357mag caliber (shooting 38 special catridges). However 1866's and 1873's (both of which are toggle action guns) are the best, but most expensive. In my opinion Winchester 94's and 92's (or clones) are the poorest choice. Their actions can not be smoothed to the same point as the Marlins and toogle action guns. The toogle action guns can also be fitted with a short stroke kit that makes them a bit faster.. Marlins don't work the same and even though you will hear a short stroke kit can be put in them. The only thing that can make their lever throw shorter is a shorter cartridge. Either SXS shotguns or Winchester 1897 (or their clones) and the 1887 Winchester (and clones) may be used. I suspect it is easier to be faster with a 97 pump gun, but I've seen many SXS (double barrel coach guns) shooters that were also fast. An 1887 lever shotgun can be used, but they are 'practice intensive'. Pump rifles like the Colt lightning can also be used, but few people stick with them because most of them don't work as well as some of the other rifles. Hope these thoughts help.

Page generated in 0.03863 seconds with 8 queries