View Single Post
Old October 5, 2000, 03:12 PM   #26
Dimitri

Put the standing bench and the sitting bench at 90 degree angles in a corner. You'll find that you like to have that second surface available as a "sideboard" counter. When I'm sitting at the press, my scale is on the standing bench where it's at eye level. When I'm at the standing bench, I keep bullets, cases, primers at hand on the sitting bench.

I find that sometimes I like to sit and sometimes I stand. My presses are mounted on planks and attach to the benches with C-Clamps.

Build an "island" cabinet and put it on locking casters. That way it moves to a wall when not in use or sets up next to a working bench. Who knows? You may find yourself working on a howitzer in the middle of the floor (or mounting a crew-served on your duck boat . . . )

If you build a permanent island, you're going to spend a lot of time walking around it and wishing it were not in the middle of things.

Kitchens have a "work triangle" consisting of the refer, sink, and stove (microwave). See if you don't have a "work triangle" in your loading sequence and then make sure you don't build obstacles in line with it.

Get a decent swing arm light -- not a cheapie. A solid vise is a good option too. I mount my case trimmer and primer tool on blocks and secure them in the vise. A laundry sink at the end of the bench makes gun cleaning/work a whole lot easier. I put my solvents and cleaners in the sink so if/when they spill, they spill into the sink. The muzzle goes over the sink so that solvents and drips don't end up on the floor. (Get a catch for the drain hole to catch small parts.)

A radio and clock are must have items in any shop area.

Page generated in 0.03674 seconds with 8 queries