View Single Post
Old November 29, 2009, 05:01 PM   #11
ormandj

I picked up the Harbor Freight/Chicago model (I have a HF about 4 miles away) to experiment with. I did the 6mmbr vinegar/baking soda method, and it ate away too much zinc in some brass, and I had copper splotches on the cases. They were clean as a whistle, other than this.

So, I grabbed some of my Slip2000 725 cleaner/degreaser (it's good at eating off tough carbon deposits in rifles, thought it might work on brass too) and ran 2x8 minute cycles with 5 pieces of brass in a plastic cup with the solution.

I then ran the brass through an 8 minute cycle with distilled water to clean off the 725. After letting it dry, the brass is as clean as my vibratory cleaner ever got it (and the primer pockets are clean, too) - and there is no dusty residue.

I'm going to experiment a while longer with this one, I might use the cleaner in the main unit instead of keeping the brass in cups - the cups will really slow down cleaning as you can only put about 10 cases in each, and 2 in the cleaner - plus I think they make the unit less effective.

If I can do 50 cases of 308/30'06 at a time, I'll be happy - which is about what this unit will hold without stacking more than a few cases. 16 minutes, very little noise, no toxic dust (I'm still debating what to do with the liquid after cleaning).

Once I have a better idea of what works best, and verify that it can continue this cleaning efficiency (over a thousand cases, let's say) - then I'll invest in a larger unit. There is no doubt - this HF/Chicago model is 'cheap', in every sense of the word, and I have a feeling a better engineered/higher powered model will do wonders for productivity and cleaning completeness, but this unit cost me 50$ at the store. A lot better than blowing $400 to find out something doesn't work for you. I can always gift this one to another reloading buddy if I move onto a better unit.

Page generated in 0.02189 seconds with 8 queries