View Single Post
Old December 9, 2019, 10:58 AM   #37
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
Cheek weld is over rated. You can shoot great without cheek weld. Cheek weld is a way to be consistent, not the ONLY way.
You can shoot well from a bench, etc. without a consistent and comfortable cheek weld. Possibly when open country hunting such as pronghorn. After all , you can hunt big game with a handgun that requires no cheek-weld.

That said, I would not want to hunt whitetail where I hunt, and I emphasize where I hunt, without a rifle that comes up instantaneously on target and this means a perfect cheek weld.

Hunting rifles I have with high combs require me to use about medium height scope rings to get the rifle to "come up" on target the way I want it to come up on target. Some of these higher comb rifles are vey uncomfortable to use with the issue iron sights, if they come so equipped.

For a low comb rifle like the Marlin 336 I use old style, Weaver low rings to achieve this purpose....This allows a scope with a 32mm objective bell to just clear the rear sight, very low....I don't know about the newer 336 as it seems you can't even find a new pellet rifle without a high comb built with large objective scopes in mind.

As an aside, a few years ago, I bought one of the newer Benjamin pump pellet guns. Unlike the old, iconic, Benjamins or Sheridans, this rifle has a ridiculously high comb and it is not even meant to be scoped!!!...I mounted a Williams peep and still have to squeeze my head (not even cheek) down so far that my neck is nearly sideways, very uncomfortable

Page generated in 0.02724 seconds with 8 queries