View Single Post
Old November 16, 2012, 03:27 AM   #27
bamaranger

Cooper on Scouts

I read and clipped about everything Cooper ever wrote (at least published) on "Scouts", and I had to have one. But who could afford a Steyr or custom 'smith work? Not me, that's for sure.

When the Savage Scout came, out, I could afford that. It 'missed" as well, length and weight wise, no bipod, but it was the only affordable factory option.

The Ruger Frontier is a trim light little package, I had to resist one about a month ago, used, at a big shop an hour from home.

The new Gunsite Scout is now an affordable factory option. I don't like the big box (4+1 of .308 will solve all my problems) nor the flash hider, but its an improvement on the Savage, not as sleek as the Frontier.

I'm beginning to think that the modern dot has eclipsed the 'scout scope" in utility. Such things did not exist (I don't think so anyhow) in reliable, compact form when Cooper did his initial stuff. And he did not like battery powered optics, period. But tiime has proven the modern dot is tough and here to stay.

Something like a Leupold Delta, or a Fastfire, mounted IER like a scoutscope, may be the next step in the evolution of the scout.

Page generated in 0.03198 seconds with 8 queries