View Single Post
Old January 24, 2016, 10:51 PM   #13
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

If it is what I think it is it was called the Model 1890, not Model 90. Designed by the great John M Browning. The first 22 caliber rifle Winchester sold specifically designed for 22 Rimfire ammo. The original Gallery Rifle.

Twenty four inch octagon (not hexagon) barrel. Crescent shaped buttplate. Specifically chambered for 22 Short, 22 Long, OR 22 Long Rifle. Not all three.

The most common chambering for the Model 1890 was 22 Short, because that is what was usually fired in shooting galleries at carnivals, boardwalks, and circus midways. I shot one when I was a kid at Jones Beach on Long Island with my Grandparents. Second most common chambering was 22 Long, third most common, and the last chambering to be adopted was 22 Long Rifle.

The rifle at the top of the photo is a Model 1890.

The shorter rifle in the photo at top is a Winchester Model 1906. Predecessor to the Model 62A. The Model '06 was a lower cost version of the Model 1890. Twenty inch round barrel, able to digest 22 Shorts, Longs, AND Long Rifles interchangeably. Straight 'shotgun' style buttplate, and less expensive wood than walnut. I think mine is birch, or some other light colored hardwood, stained to look like walnut.

My Grandfather bought my Model '06 for my Dad in Abercrombie and Fitch in Manhattan in the 1930s. Yes, Abercombie and Fitch had a whole floor devoted to guns, and they even had a shooting range in the basement.

Here is a photo of my Dad shooting his/my Model '06 in Maine in 1931.

Page generated in 0.02518 seconds with 8 queries