View Single Post
Old April 26, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
10 Spot Terminator

excessive chamber length in Rem 700 CDL 243

I have been perplexed for some time now with flyers from my Remington 700 CDL in 243 Win. ,,,

One time a 5 shot group may look good at around 1/2 in. @ 100 yds and the next it would open up and string out 2 or more flyers. From the onset I new the throat was a bit long as most of my loads be they 75 gr. or 100 gr. had the bullets seated as lomg as the magazine wold allow . Today I borrowed a Stoney Point tool with a modified case that allows you to take a selected bullet and push it by way of a flex rod up through the seated case until the bullet contacts the lands then remove the tool and measure the cartridge OAL . HOLY CRAP BATMAN !!! using 3 different 100 grain bullets, Sierra, Speer and Hornadys Spire point I found that after I maxed out the OAL to fit the magazine I had an average bullet jump of .110 .... If I tried to use a Hornady 75 gr V-Max the bullet would exit the case by .005 before the bullet contacted the lands . THIS CANT BE GOOD !!! I have fired maybe 450 total rounds through this rifle over the past 3 years and none of them were barn burners that would have chewed out the throat . I clean the gun after 5 round shot strings as well . Has anyone else had a factory Remmy 700 with this kind of HOOEY ??? I am sure remington wont offer any help as I have compromised the gun by reloading . Is it possible to have the barrel set back and rechambered or am I looking at having to say put a new barrel on it for most of what I paid for the gun to begin with. Not made of $$$ ,,, Thought I bought a good rifle to start with ,,, Any advice would be appreciated .

10 Spot

Page generated in 0.02381 seconds with 8 queries