View Single Post
Old November 29, 2000, 10:31 AM   #1
Casey

Hello all.

I have been loading my .45 rounds Rainier 200 gr. SWC, but recently the local shop where I buy them had a price bump. The price of loading my .45's jumped to a point where I am unhappy, as I usually shoot 400-500 a week.

The local shop owner suggested that I try some lead SWC. What he uses himself and sells are D&J branded. I loaded some up, and other than the smoke from the lubrication (which I assume is harmless??), saw no difference in performance. The cost is almost 1/2 of the Rainiers.

I shoot a Kimber in .45, a Baer in .40, and a Colt in 9X23 (as soon as I get it back from Mr. Burns, which appears to be soon!!). As I shoot the target loads at lower speeds (4.1 to 4.5 gr Hodgdon Clays with 200gr SWC in .45, for instance) I don't think there is any danger of leading up a barrel.

I haven't cleaned it from the first round of shooting lead yet. I sometimes go 400-500 without cleaning with the jacketed rounds (I know some of the anti 1911 folks, or even the anti Kimber folks won't believe that!!); is that a problem with lead?

Anyone got any comments? Was I foolish to shoot the jacketed for so long?

Thanks.

Casey

"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
Abraham Lincoln

Page generated in 0.02258 seconds with 8 queries