View Single Post
Old December 11, 2012, 01:40 AM   #145
Gaerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph3 View Post
It seems to be obvious if viewed objectively.
Sounds good, objectivity is key when comparing things. Full disclosure, I'm mainly an auto guy but I do carry a revolver as backup.

Quote:
The revolver design is less technologically advanced.
As in older? Knives are about as ancient a design as you can find, yet I bet you and most people on this board carry/use one daily. The wheel is the opposite of technologically advanced, yet this world we know would cease to function without them. This has no relevance in a discussion of whether an auto or revolver are better.

Quote:
Which one is faster and easier to reload?
+1 for the auto. But two things to consider. 1) With practice, a revolver can be almost as fast to reload as an auto (watch videos of Jerry Miculek). 2) Most (not all, of course) gun fights end with 3 or fewer shots fired, let alone the need for a reload. We can still give this to the auto.

Quote:
Which one is lighter?
Depends. S&W Model 340PD is 11.4oz empty. Ruger LCP is 10oz, but you're limited to .380 (and I'll take 5 .357 or .38 SPL over 7 .380 any day of the week). If we move up to an LC9 (more or less equivalent round as .38 SPL) is 17oz. Kahr PM9 (typically regarded as one of the lightest reliable 9mm) weighs 15.9oz empty.

Looks like if you are considering the power of a round, revolvers are lighter by 3 or 4 ounces. If you're not, autos have a slight edge, by about an ounce. Since, for me, the minimum auto round I'm willing to carry is 9mm, revolver wins this one.

Quote:
Which one balances in the hand more ergonomically?
You said you wanted to be objective. This is subjective. I love how my Glock feels. Some people hate it. I don't like how most Sigs fit my hand, others love it. Some people love how revolvers feel. I like how my LCR feels, even though its a J Frame sized revolver...almost as much as my Glock.

Quote:
Which uses more advanced materials?
Um, both? Honestly, there isn't any materials used on autos that isn't used on revolvers today. Heck there are 3 polymer revolvers on the market today.

Quote:
Which has a simpler method of operation (I'll give you a hint, it's not a revolver despite perceptions to the contrary).
It doesn't get more simple than point and pull trigger, and that's how a revolver works. There's fewer moving parts in a revolver, making it simpler. Most autos have more controls and are far more complex than a revolver.

Quote:
Listen, I love revolvers, muzzle loaders, crossbows, and atlatls, but it shouldn't require a dissertation of empirical data to recognize the hierarchy.
Both types go bang when you pull the trigger and make a metal projectile come out the end at a very high rate of speed. Empirical data will show both are deadly. Empirical data will also show the revolver to be more reliable than the auto...something your "objective" comparison left out. Which is exactly why I carry a revolver as backup.

Again I'm mostly an auto guy who loves his Glockerware. But I can also look at this objectively and realize that revolvers are still very relevant, and are most certainly not obsolete, outdated or underpowered.

Page generated in 0.02420 seconds with 8 queries