View Single Post
Old February 2, 2014, 03:19 PM   #4
uofudavid

I believe that it is wise and enjoyable to force oneself to shoot enough to be proficient with all the fire arms one owns.

The standards of what is the goal of proficient change when discussing each shooting discipline.

What do you have that you want to shoot? i.e. handgun, shotgun, hunting rifle, carbine? It also depends on purpose ~ hunting, target, defense etc…

I have spent the last few years focusing on longer ranges, before that was competitive pistol IDPA which I am again returning to. Personally, I prefer not having any glaring holes in my repertoire.

For instance I could shoot my hand gun and get tiny little groups, but that is not what I plan on using it for. I want to shot as quickly as I can without my accuracy dropping below a set standard of having all rounds fired being covered by my hand. If they are not covered I am shooting to fast if the group is less than fist size I know I am shooting to slow.

Going to the range without a goal of what you want out of it is like going to the gym and not knowing what you want to do for exercise. If I am not focusing on improving my skill sets then I am only setting bad habits that will be harder to break later.

Page generated in 0.02192 seconds with 8 queries