View Single Post
Old September 28, 2013, 10:04 AM   #9
McShooty

On my Third Model, the "safety notch" is reached with just a very short retraction of the hammer. It makes a tiny click and seems positive. The point of the firing pin is held away from the primer position, but the point still protrudes a bit in front of the recoil shield.

I can also stage the hammer during a double action pull, but it won't remain in the single action cocked position. If I pull through, it will fire, but if I let the trigger go forward, the hammer comes down without breaking.

This staging seems a rather desirable function. With a little trigger finger education you can essentially fire the gun single action without having to disturb your grip by thumb cocking. I once emptied the gun (5 rounds) by staging and firing while keeping my grip undisturbed.

I haven't personally seen very many examples of these models. I don't know if the staging is a standard operational feature or not, but I think it is possible that it could be. You can see that this would be very desireable in the safety hammerless line of S&Ws because it would allow an approximation of single action shooting with a gun that is impossible to cock.

Page generated in 0.04117 seconds with 8 queries