View Single Post
Old April 7, 2013, 06:19 AM   #24
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
As long as the bullet is of reasonable hardness, and the plating is not too thin, I don't believe plated bullets would be a problem.
Well, I don't know if it is too thin, not thin enough. However, I did find a link to information on the H&N website saying that their plate is 0.08mm thick. As to whether the bullets are hard enough, based on the "plasticity" comment half way down, my guess is that they are not very hard at all....

Quote:
From the H&N website:
High-speed bullets are not jacketed bullets! This is why they can also be used at shooting ranges, where use of jacketed bullets is prohibited. The (galvanised) copper coating is around 0.08 mm thick – in contrast to jacketed bullets, where the jacket is over 0.2 mm thick, depending on the make. HS bullets also dissipate energy more easily on account of their good plasticity when they hit a receptacle. Fragmentation is also far less when hitting steel knock-down targets (e.g. IPSC) than with jacketed bullets. If the operator of your shooting range does not accept this explanation, print our DEVA assessment on the classification of copper-plated high-speed bullets.

Page generated in 0.03504 seconds with 8 queries