View Single Post
Old November 27, 2012, 06:16 AM   #33
1911Tuner

Housing

The arched housing came along in order to correct the tendency to shoot low under stress, and it worked pretty well. For comfort and effectiveness at eye-level point-shooting and aimed fire, the flat housing gets the nod, even though I can do about as well with either. The flat housing does tend to distribute the "whack" of the slide impacting the frame more evenly over my hand...which is where 95% of the felt recoil comes from with a locked breech autopistol, and it doesn't leave the heel of my hand feeling bruised after a 500-round session.

After burning a conservatively estimated 3/4 million rounds through various 1911 pistols over the last half-century, that's hardly surprising. If I'd spent the same amount of time with about any platform you can name, I'd expect the results to be pretty much the same.

But...

I've found that in quick, close range waist to mid-body level point shooting, the arched housing holds an edge over the flat housing. Once I bring the gun to shoulder level, the line starts to blur.

It all boils down to what you get used to. Work with it enough, and you can learn to be effective with anything. Your hand and eye will adapt over time with repetition. Some designs are just more easy to come to terms with.

Page generated in 0.02837 seconds with 8 queries