View Single Post
Old February 13, 2012, 12:13 AM   #1
johnm1

Greek 1930 Short Rifle

I picked up a project gun this weekend. It is a Greek 1930 short rifle barreled action with stock. The receiver has mostly been scrubbed but the Greek crest and model number can still be seen with magnification. The action screws are present as well as the butt plate, lower sling swivel, trigger guard, trigger/sear. The rifle is missing the handguard, bolt, follower, follower spring, floorplate/pin, lower band/sling swivel, stock band springs and the bayonet lug appears to be incorrect.

I bought this on a whim figuring I could turn it into a shooter 8mm Mauser for relatively low cost. I paid $49 bucks for it and if it turns out I can't make it work cost wise it won't be the biggest mistake I have made. I can take my time finding the parts so there may be some economy there.

I want to set a budget for this project at or below what the rifle is commonly worth. This is not an investment just a budget for a shooter. If I end up selling it in the future and take a little loss I'm not too worried. I just need to stay in the ball part. But there isn't a lot of action on Gunbroker in the actual sold column. Best estimate from Gunbroker is $200 which would be tough to stay under. Though I think I can do it.

So here is the description of what the finished product would be:

Greek 1930 Short Rifle, ground crest, replacement bolt (doesn't match), with good rifling in a somewhat dark bore. Blue has 2 spots on exposed part of the barrel 1/2 the size of a dime that show bare metal. Stock is in good shape. Handguard will match the stock (I'm pretty good with wood and finishes). Let's assume it ends up shooting well.

What should my budget be? $200, $250?

Last edited by johnm1; February 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: to/too gets me a lot

Page generated in 0.03779 seconds with 8 queries