View Single Post
Old November 18, 2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Schuyler

Which mosin fits my hunting style?

So, being a soon-to-be poor college student, I figured I dump a whole lot of money into a deer rifle, nor will I want to spend my life savings on ammo these days. As a result, I've recently fallen for the mosin nagant. I figure it is more than powerful enough to deer hunt with, and milsurplus ammo is cheap enough to plink around with and get accustomed to shooting it. Usually when I'm hunting, it's hiking through the woods, sitting for an hour or two, and hiking to a new spot. All and all, typically involves a good bit of walking in the mountains and hollows. So, on to the point of this thread: Would the M44 or 91/30 be a better choice for hunting in this type of environment? I would like to scope the gun, and as far as I've read, it's equally difficult with both guns, and does require drilling/tapping unless your comfortable with a clamp on scope. Also, just out of curiousity, anyone care to back up the stories I've heard of the mosin with open sights? Heard it's pretty deadly even out to a hundred yards...

Thanks!
Schuyler
EDIT: Oh, and just to throw one more thing in the mix: I'm left eye dominant and right handed, but I've always used a right handed bolt gun. Any new issues with the mosin I should be weary of? Hopefully I just don't need a quick follow up shot lol

Last edited by Schuyler; November 18, 2011 at 12:26 PM.

Page generated in 0.03102 seconds with 8 queries