View Single Post
Old December 31, 2018, 04:45 PM   #18
Rangerrich99

I have never liked Glocks. My brother bought one in '88, I think, and I never warmed up to it the few times I shot it. It was ugly, plastic, the trigger was spongy like a toy gun trigger, and I couldn't be very accurate with it.

Fast forward to a couple years ago: I decided that I needed at least one Glock in my safe and bought a G19 gen 4 on sale. Still ugly. Still plastic, but I'd mostly gotten over that prejudice in the last dozen years or so. Trigger was better than I remembered, but still spongy. The alternate backstraps were a significant improvement, IMO.

Given time, I can shoot it about as accurately as anything else I own out to about 15 yards, but if I'm in a hurry I tend to shoot about an inch high and an inch or two to the left with it. Is that a deal-breaker? For defensive purposes, no. Beyond 20 yards, it's accuracy is barely acceptable, but that's in my hands. Which is the point, I guess, since I'm the one that has to rely on it.

And it doesn't index all that well for me, even with the addition of a backstrap. Many times during dry-fire practice, I'll draw and point to find that the front sight is off to one side even behind the left rear sight blade.

This simply isn't the case with either my M&P or any of my 1911s.

I believe this has to do with the blocky 2x4 grip shape, and the size of my hand. Of course, it doesn't take much time to make the adjustment to center the front sight, but it does take a measurable amount of time.

And while I freely admit that the Glock is my permanent back-up when I go to training classes, for it's reliability and simple manual of arms, I never feel really confident with it accuracy-wise, especially for precision shots or shots past 15 yards (we've run timed drills where you have to hit 8-inch steel at 25 and 35 yards). As far as going bang, yes, of course, I know it's going to go bang every time.

So as everyone has said, my Glock is eminently serviceable, reliable, durable, etc. and I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up if needed. But if that moment arrived and somehow my M&P was on the counter right next to my Glock, I'd pick up the M&P first every time.

But I would never consider selling it. It's just not my favorite handgun. It's kind of like owning a reasonable car. I might have a sports car or whatever truck, etc. for fun, but I always have a form of basic, bullet-proof transportation, like a Honda Civic, just in case.

Last edited by Rangerrich99; December 31, 2018 at 04:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.03704 seconds with 8 queries