View Single Post
Old July 20, 2006, 09:41 AM   #12
TooTall

Here are 2 true stories. I'll try to condense as much as possible.

#1: An L.A. County Sheriff Reserve Deputy walked into a "Mom & Pop's"-type store, not knowing that an armed robbery was in progress. The Reserve Deputy had his 3-year old son along as he entered the store.

From what I was able to find out, the Reserve Deputy felt that it was unsafe for him and his son to exit the store, so he pushed his son onto the ground and told him to stay there, then the Deputy pulled out his off-duty weapon. The Deputy thought that he had gotten the "drop" on the suspect, but a gunfight quickly ensued. The shoot-out ended quickly when the suspect was able to run out of the store. At that point, the Deputy found that his son had been shot in the head by the suspect! The Deputy had THOUGHT that his young son would be safe on the ground, but one of the suspects rounds had ricocheted off a steel display case, then struck the 3-year old on the ground.

#2: An off-duty LAPD officer and his wife had gone out for dinner with another married couple. At the end of the evening, while dropping off the other couple, all of them were out of the car talking on the sidewalk when a ski masked armed robber jumped from behind a nearby bush.

The armed robber took the officer's wife as a hostage, and demanded the wallets from the two men and the ladies purses. The demands were met, but the robber didn't release his control hold of the officer's wife. The suspect, with the 2 purses and 2 wallets stuffed into his shirt, started backing away from the 2 males and the other lady.

Two things went through the off-duty officer's mind as he stood there, watching helplessly, while his wife struggled but was unable to free herself.
The officer feared for her life if the suspect was able to kidnap her. The second thing was that every step away from him meant a longer shot, if he resorted to drawing and firing his off-duty "snub-nose" revolver. The officer TRIED to prompt his wife to drop to the ground as he pulled out his revolver, but she was unable to do so. In a flash of a milli-second, the suspect forced his hand by turning his weapon in the direction of the officer and his friends. The officer took aim and fired one round which, at first, appeared to have struck the suspect in the head. The suspect and his hostage fell to the ground, and the suspects firearm skittered into the street.

This second incident also turned out sorrowful, for the officer's single round had hit his wife in the head, not the suspect! Even though the officer took what he thought was a "careful" aim, the struggle that his wife was putting up caused her to move in front of the suspect.

The officer SOMEHOW remained professional, not knowing whether his wife was still alive or deceased. He kept the suspect at gunpoint until on-duty officers arrived and took charge. His wife was rushed to the hospital, but she didn't make it to surgery. The suspect's firearm? A "replica" gun! He was convicted of murder, but was spared from the death penalty! Sad story, especially since I had known that officer since high school, and I knew his wife!

My personal belief is that there are NO set "plans" that you can make with a loved one! Sure, you can discuss certain things, but when REAL LIFE enters the picture, all of the plans and scenario playing will go to the way-side. As far as being the "CCW" person of the family, it's best that you work on your "situational awareness" skills and perception. It may boil down to a "judgement call" on your part, coupled with an instantaneous reaction....or maybe even INACTION! Sure, it will piss you off by having to comply with the demands of a suspect, but I'm sure that you will agree that the safety of you and your loved ones is worth ANY amount of money or valuables!

Lastly, about the only thing that I've "coached" my wife and daughter about, pertaining to being confronted with an armed robber, is to "faint" and stay put! After that, it will be up to me to react in one way or another. If my "fainted" family members are between me and the armed suspect, I'll just have to "eat crow" until I can do anything else!

Page generated in 0.03546 seconds with 9 queries