View Single Post
Old December 7, 2009, 01:08 PM   #11
res45

Quote:
The Lee Factory Crimp Die comes in two flavors: one that will size a finished pistol cartridge to make sure it will fit in a standard chamber, and another one which for rifles that will actually crimp the finished round so hard it will make its own indentation in a copper jacketed bullet.
As for the second part about the rifle crimp die,if your crimping the bullet to the point that your actually doing that then you don't know how to use the die properly. From another post.

Quote:
"a few years to when Speer and Richard Lee got into a ****ing match about the Lee Factory Crimp die. "

Yep. Actually, that was in the late 70s, early 80s if I remember correctly. Fred Hundington had sold RCBS, Vernon Speer sold and CCI sold out to the Blount Group so the original owners were gone and a bunch of destructive "professional" management MBAs were running things, wrongly. Pretty much damaged Blount in the same process.

Richard Lee had just gotten into making presses, dies, etc. His tools were designed from the ground up to be made on largely automated and CNC tooling by unskilled labor forces so they could be high grade tools sold at low prices. It worked. Soon, Lee was cutting deeply into the "big boys'" markets. Speer and RCBS struck back by publishing badly misleading magazine adds showing how badly Lee's tools worked, especially the (excellent) rifle Factory Crimp Dies. (They massively over-crimped some rifle bullets and put the photos in their adds to "prove" their point.)

Federal got caught up at the same time with a big suit claiming injury from some idiot misusing Federal primers, not a part of Blount, and it cost Lee a bundle to defend against Federal pointing a finger at Lee. Lee wanted no more of that so they started posting the warnings against the use of Federal caps we still see.
It's a personal choice,I like mine,I get the results I like.

Page generated in 0.03526 seconds with 8 queries