View Single Post
Old April 19, 2017, 06:36 PM   #9
straightshooterjake

In my opinion, for serious bullseye shooting, you need a pistol that will hold at least 1.5" groups at 25 yards, and hopefully a bit better. There are many moderately priced rimfire pistols that will meet this standard. Every heavy barrelled Ruger Mark .22 auto that have tried shoots this well, and similar pistols of other brands also shoot very well.

However, to get a centerfire semi-auto which is mechanically capable of 1.5" groups, you generally need a custom gun that cost far in excess of a thousand dollars. I am not aware of any factory semi-autos which are really good enough for bullseye shooting. And it makes no difference if they have "target" or "match" in their model names. Those names indicate a model with adjustable sights and possibly a good trigger, but they are not hand tuned for extreme accuracy.

There are two big issues with making extremely accurate semi-auto pistols. One is cost. It is expensive to make pistols where the action locks up very tightly and repeatably. And the other problem is reliability. When a gun is tight enough to have very good mechanical accuracy, the tight tolerances can sometimes compromise reliability. Hand fitting by a good gunsmith can deliver a very accurate gun which is also reliable, but then we are back to the issue of cost.

Quality centerfire revolvers are often capable of 1.5" 25 yard groups, but most people don't want to do timed and rapid fire with revolvers.

If your matches are informal "fun" matches, and if most of the shooters are not at a very advanced level, then people may be satisfied with production centerfire semi-autos. But for more advanced centerfire competition, equipment can become a significant investment.

Regarding red dot sights. I like them, and I have yet to see a picture of Brian Zins where he did not have one. If it works for him, it is going to be fine for the rest of us.

Page generated in 0.02420 seconds with 8 queries