View Single Post
Old March 13, 2019, 05:36 PM   #37
stagpanther

Quote:
Let me help you with this.. Its not you and it's not uncommon. When we build precision rifles we do everything we can to remove all the factors that can change the normal harmonics of a rifle barrel when it's shot. If your rifle is off the shelf and you haven't done anything to improve it, then changing from bags to a tripod can change the harmonics and will affect your groups. Bags should give you the best grouping because it is the closest to off hand shooting which is what the rifle was designed to do.

My suggestion is to first check the bottom screws in your rifle. To do this, loosen them fist. Next, tap the rifle butt on the floor a couple of times and then while still holding it vertically, tighten the rear screw to 35 inch lbs and then the front to 35 inch lbs. If your stock has aluminum pillar posts you should torque to 65 inch lbs. Make sure you have pillar posts if you go to 65 because you can damage your stock if you don't.

Next, remove your bipod and shoot off of bags. That will let you know how the rifle really shoots and you can start trying different ammo to make it better.
Good suggestions--the other day when I started "spraying" with my 338 lapua I discovered the rail was actually loose on the receiver--and did a check of the action screws after encountering the rail problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 230 eldx 338 lapua 92.2 H1000 .jpg (103.9 KB, 461 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; March 13, 2019 at 06:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.03156 seconds with 9 queries