View Single Post
Old January 26, 2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Bart B.

UncleGrumpy procedure:
Quote:
I however turn the die down tight, then unscrew it 1/8th so that I am neck sizing with a full length die. Therefore I am leaving the slop in the presses action.
1/8 turn to move the full length sizing die up changes its height about .009 inch. I doubt that lets one neck size a bottleneck case withthat die. Such procedures with such dies typically ends up sizing the fired case body down a tiny bit which moves the shoulder forward a tiny bit and sizes part of the neck. Which, in the reloading industry, is called "partial neck sizing" with a full length sizing die.

More often than not, when such a sized case is chambered, it binds up a little as the case head to shoulder distance is now too long for the chamber. This causes the bolt to not close back exactly the same for each shot and accuracy suffers.

Reloaders are better off using a case headspace gauge such as the RCBS Precision Mic to measure fired case headspace then adjust the die so it sets the fired case shoulders back no more than a couple thousandths. Doing this usually lets the die's bottom come within a couple thousandths of touching the shell holder. If one of Redding's Competition shell holders of the right height, then adjust the die so when the press cams over a tiny bit, the case is full length sized perfectly and best accuracy is at hand as well as long case life.

Unclenick's great set of labels shown below can be put on sizing die lock rings so one can see exactly how much change in position a given adjustment will make:

Print them so the inside diameter's 7/8th inch. Use a sheet of sticky-back label paper so they can be easily put on lock rings.

wncchester, benchresters have recently started using standard press mounted full length sizing dies with bushings for their specific case neck diameters. The dies set in the press to set fired case shoulders back and case body diameters down a thousandth or a bit more. This method produces more accurate ammo than neck only sizing with arbors pusing neck only dies down on case necks.

Last edited by Bart B.; January 26, 2013 at 08:02 AM.

Page generated in 0.03405 seconds with 8 queries