View Single Post
Old January 10, 2010, 04:04 AM   #10
OfficerJohnson10

You did exactly what you should have done. Even if you know the interior of the building like the back of your hand, you should still call for back up. I wouldn't even clear my own home by myself if I believed there was a threat inside. At least two officers are needed to achieve a MINIMUM level of officer safety when clearing a building. Those who have the "hero" mentality and try to do things like clear buildings and search suspects on traffic stops by themselves and without back up all too often get themselves hurt and even worse get their fellow officers hurt because of stupid and easily avoidable mistakes. I'd rather take a little ribbing from my partners because I used three officers and a radio air clearance to search a building finding nothing than get complacent all the while thinking "its just another false alarm", walk in and get myself senselessly hurt or killed. Every officers ultimate goal is to go home at the end if their shift in the same condition as when they started; alive.

You did fine in your situation and if anyone seriously tells you that you need to be less of a (insert negative word of choice) and not call for back up, keep my previous sentence in mind.

Also, it has been my experience at least in my dept that those who give you a little ribbing and bust chops when you " screw up" (ie: talk to a citizen with your fly down, inadvertently key up your radio while talking up your latest romantic conquest in excruciating detail with your partner, etc) are the ones who are going to have your back when the SHTF and those who keep their "comments" to themselves until you are not around are the ones you need to keep your eye on. Don't worry about the ribbing. What comes around goes around and everyone slips on a banana peel sooner or later LOL.

Your goal in a gunfight should not be to simply survive...it should be to prevail.

Page generated in 0.03590 seconds with 8 queries