View Single Post
Old October 6, 2005, 10:55 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

It's interesting how ideas about footware have changed over the years. When I worked for the Natl. Park Service in the 70's, they issued Pivetta 5 hiking boots. They were made in Italy and were hard as a brick. VERY stiff. I think the idea was to prevent stone bruises when walking over lava and sharp granite. They're also expensive. I bought a pair of Kastinger Tarns (handmade in Switzerland) shortly thereafter, and they went for over $200. then. Who knows what they go for now? But they do wear like iron, and I still have them, in good shape, today. Then there's the rock climbers philosophy: They like them so supple that they're almost like slippers. Today the trend seems to lean towards lighter, flexible boots that give good ankle support and allow you to "feel" the trail. The Danners Rich mentioned are good ones today, maybe the best. I used to like Rocky's, both at work and for hiking, but they seem to wear out fast, and the way they're made, they can't be repaired or re-soled anywhere except Rocky Boots. I think the best thing, though, is to try on different boots and see what's most comfortable for you. Careful though; if they're even slightly uncomfortable in the store, you'll be absolutely miserable in the field.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Page generated in 0.03397 seconds with 8 queries