View Single Post
Old June 18, 2017, 06:40 PM   #28
straightshooterjake

Personally, I am comfortable with guns that have a minimum 5 lb trigger pull, modern internal drop safety systems, and a fair amount of trigger pre-travel to clear the drop safety. I do not feel that these handguns need a manual thumb safety, and the markets seem to agree with me on this point. For my own use, I prefer about a 6 lb trigger. And for duty use, I would not modify any of these guns to have a trigger pull lighter than the factory weight.

I believe the question of single action vs double action is largely an issue of semantics and definitions. I am not aware of a specific definition that states how much the striker spring can be pre-cocked and still have the pistol be considered double action. For this reason, I have changed the terminology I use, and I now call this whole class of pistols "modern striker fired." I used to call these guns "striker fired double action only," but on some of these guns the trigger pull does not cock the striker a meaningful amount, so DAO does not really apply.

I have looked very closely at the internal fire controls of the Smith & Wesson M&P line, and I would consider them single action if I was going to use one of those names. However, I prefer to call them "modern striker fired," since I think their safety and function is very comparable to a Glock, and I would be comfortable carrying either one.

Page generated in 0.03977 seconds with 8 queries