View Single Post
Old March 1, 2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

The Field & Stream interview is here.

Biden is clearly muddled on a number of points. He acknowledges that the 2A protects a right to self-defense, irrespective of militia membership, but then claims that the AR-15 isn't necessary for that purpose:

Quote:
And so the question is, is that necessary for you to protect yourself? How many legitimate hunters go out and hunt like that?
Quote:
the Supreme Court laid out that that particular weapon is not a usual weapon in the sense that you need it for your self-protection or for hunting purposes. If you have to go up into the Poconos and go bear hunting or deer hunting with that weapon, and you need a clip that has 30 rounds in it, then you shouldn’t be hunting.
So, are we talking hunting or self-defense, Joe? Well...

Quote:
Well, the way in which we measure it is—I think most scholars would say—is that as long as you have a weapon sufficient to be able to provide your self-defense. (...) my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door.
I've not heard any scholars say that, though I guarantee the Brady Campaign will be using this in their rhetoric by, say, Saturday.

Page generated in 0.03922 seconds with 8 queries