View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012, 07:43 PM   #60
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Starting in the fall semester of 1965, Salt Lake City, I was a freshman at high school and was also part of the Army JROTC program. I used to walk to and from school with my issued M1. We moved to Long Beach CA in '66 and I was enrolled in the Navy JROTC program. There, I walked to and from school with a Springfield '06 (the Navy's firearm at that time).

At both places, I was also part of the Rifle Team and stored my .22 bolt gun in my locker.

I grew up with shotguns parked at the kitchens back door. I was given a 30-30 by an Uncle, after my first successful deer hunt at age 12. My Dad was a Korean vet, my Uncles were WWII and/or Korean vets (Dad was the baby of the bunch).

Marksmanship was a mandatory part of growing up. Hunting, slightly less so.

I have only ever had to draw my weapon once (I didn't have to fire), outside of actual combat - well twice. But the first time I was just back from 'Nam and that's a whole 'nother story - I never want to have to do that again... But I still carry. In case of extreme need.

So BlueTrain, which of our life situations are more relevant? Personally, I think neither.

What I do think relevant is that non-prohibited adults have the right to carry if they so choose and that the government (in the form of Colleges and Universities), do not have enough of a compelling interest to violate that right.

If the mantra of "Public Safety" is enough to thwart the fundamental right of self defense, then it is also compelling enough to thwart all of our other fundamental rights.

Page generated in 0.02522 seconds with 8 queries