View Single Post
Old October 4, 2011, 10:50 PM   #4
Double Naught Spy

I have posted threads previously on unarmed reactions of playing dead and tackling active shooters. They are but two options in a myriad of options available to you. If you look carefully, you will find all sorts of strategies that will work in given circumstances, fail in others. For example, playing dead seems to work best in circumstances where the shooter is fluid, not trapped or confined, in a place where there are only a limited number of potential targets. For example, if you are locked/trapped in a room with an active shooter, playing dead may not be your best option, especially if the shooter becomes frustrated and opts to start reshooting people like Cho did. In other situations where the shooter is on the move, playing dead is an option whereby the shooter has assessed you and is opting to move on to more targets instead of wasting time on those already perceived as dead.

The benefit of going prone most of the time is to ge you immediately out of the line of fire which tends to be elevated well above ground level most of the time. Going prone should not be considered as a permanent solution to the situation, but as a move to preserve your life until which time another option, hopefully a better option comes available to you.

When you look at the survivor accounts, you will find folks often used multiple methods to evade and escape harm such as first going prone, then scrambling for cover, then determining what is a viable exit and scrambling for the exit when the time is either right or desperate.

Page generated in 0.03462 seconds with 8 queries