View Single Post
Old May 20, 2006, 10:38 AM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Yep. It bears repeating - - -

All of what Leftoverdj wrote above, especially the part about, "Candidly, I don't think there is anything you can do with the .30-06 case that someone has not already done." The basic case has been around since 1903 and wildcat experimentation probably began even before the 1906 version was adopted.

This is the centenial year of the fine old cartridge. Perhaps my stodgy old imagination has malfunctioned, but I can't envision anything further that CAN be done with the basic .30'06 case. New bullets, new powders, sure - - We've seen significant improvements in these, even in the past ten years.

To expand on the base diameter theme, though - - Three loading manuals with cartridge drawings, plus Barnes' Cartridges of the World all agree with the basic 0.473 inch dimension. Not surprisingly, since they are all direct descendants, the same is true of .270 Winchester, .35 Whelen, .25-06, .338-06, 8mm-06, and heaven knows what else. Oh, yeah -- the .308 Winchester and all of ITS modifications. I won't count 'em all up right now, but I imagine that the basic '06 hull is parent or grandsire to at least a dozen others.

All the above notwithstanding, I'm honest enough to admit I'm interested in any developments you work out. Please keep us informed.

Good luck
Johnny

Page generated in 0.02358 seconds with 8 queries