View Single Post
Old March 23, 2000, 03:15 PM   #1
Dogger

I have a Colt CCO that has about 600 rounds through it. I had a few stoppages in the first 400 rounds, as I recall with some Hornady ammo. I have never had a stoppage with any 230 grain ball, HydraShok, or Golden Saber, or Winchester Silvertips.

Recently, I replaced the factory recoil spring with a Wolff 20 pounder. I also replaced the magazine springs with Wolff extra power springs. I also installed the Hogue wrap around grips with finger grooves.

The Hogue grips are wonderful and allow me to empty the magazine with no loss of grip -- the gun recoils briskly but comes back on target fast.

At the NRA range yesterday I took 100 rounds of Georgia Arms 185 grain hollowpoints and 50 rounds of 230 grain Magtech ball.

I started shooting by sending 7 rounds of carry ammo downrange. No problems. Then I started shooting the Georgia Arms ammo. I had a failure to feed with Georgia Arms 185 grain hollowpoints at round 38, then again at 67, and then a few more in rapid succession. I figured the gun was getting too dirty. I field stripped the gun and cleaned it a bit, lubed the slide rails, then started shooting again. Again a failure to feed. Then a couple more. So I switched to 230 grain hardball and sent all 50 rounds down range with no problems. I went back to the Georgia Arms ammo and had another failure in 25 rounds.

All the problems were the same: the round stopped slightly nose up and entering the breech, with the rear of the cartridge just beginning to slide under the extractor, and the slide partially closed.

I guess the moral of the story is to go back to the standard recoil spring and see how it does, or stick with 230 grain ammo. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Page generated in 0.03751 seconds with 8 queries