View Single Post
Old February 3, 2000, 01:58 AM   #4
jcoyoung

From what you want to use it for, it sounds like you are looking for the portable handheld variety of GPS units. I currently have a GPS unit that plugs into my laptop. Since others may come to this topic for different applications, I will elaborate.

I have the Delorme Earthmate GPS receiver. (~$150 w/ software) It plugs into the serial port and runs off 4 AAA batteries (eats 'em up pretty fast too). The GPS receiver works with all of Delorme's map software, including AAA Map-N-Go.

Software Available:
Included with the Earthmate package is Street Atlas USA 7.0, which only covers CONUS (Continental United States) but is very detailed. Good for driving around the country.
I bought Delormes Eartha Global Explorer to use for a trip into Canada - what a waste of money. The Eartha software can only zoom in close enough to see major highways.
I bought the AAA Map-N-Go to use in Canada(It also has maps for Mexico). The map quality was between Eartha and SA USA, but it did have these cool multimedia tourist site descriptions.
There is also a a topographical map that is available (Topo USA?). From what I remember, it was pretty expensive.

Earthmate GPS Receiver and Street Atlas USA 6.0
Pretty cool software. It will make a route for you per your preferences (speed, scenic, etc.) The map actually shows an arrow to show the position and direction of travel. It also has verbal directions if you like having an electronic backseat driver.

I'm quite happy with the Earthmate, but I haven't used it in a while (maybe this summer). Excellent co-pilot for driving in strange and mysterious places (like NYC).

[This message has been edited by jcoyoung (edited February 03, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03090 seconds with 8 queries