View Single Post
Old February 20, 2013, 08:09 PM   #10
res45

I've reloaded for two SKS rifle for a little over seven years now. Both the bores on my Yugo and Chinese SKS slugged out at .312" across the grooves.

I've tested out many different weights and dia. bullets over the years so I know what shoots best in my rifles and I've found they both pretty much like the same bullets and loads. With J bullets I found that .308 dia. bullets didn't shoot all that well in most cases they shot worse than any steel case import ammo and it actually shoots pretty darn good in my SKS rifles I would consider the .308" dia. bullets to be last ditch bullets in my rifles.

I get the best results with any of the 123 gr. .310 Hornady bullets FMJ,V-MAX and SP haven't tried the new Z-MAX but I assume they will shoot about the same. .311" bullets in 125 to 150 gr. were the next best performers although they opened up more over the 123 gr. Hornady bullet it was still possible to keep groups around 1" at 50 yrs. with the irons on a regular basis.

I've also shot several surplus pulls in 147 to 187 gr. weights that I pulled for surplus 54r ammo. Bullet diameters varies form .310" to .311" I generally use those for backyard plinker and save my good quality bullets for a rainy day.

I also started shooting cast loads in my SKS rifles a couple years ago and it pretty much all I shoot now days as there much cheaper to produce,drop my brass right next to me and are less abusive to the brass. I shoot the Lee Tumble Lube gas check bullet cast form straight wheel weight alloy,bullets drop at around .313.5" from the mold and GC's are applied with the Lee .314" push through sizer. Bullets are TL'ed once before and once after sizing. They shoot as accurate as you can hold them.

Reloader #7 is my favorite powder for all weight of J bullets and it works well with cast loads also,although I prefer Alliant 2400 for my cast loads as it takes less to get the same results. There are other powders that will work but I find Reloader #7 and 2400 easy to get about anywhere and I use them for other applications as well. For primers I use the CCI #34,Win.LR and WOLF/TULA LR with no issues as they all pass the bolt drop dimple test in my rifles.

Last edited by res45; February 21, 2013 at 08:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.03248 seconds with 8 queries